The School Finance Indicators Database consists of two separate datasets: The State Indicators Database and the District Indicators Database. The links below allow users to download or request the full datasets (in different formats), as well as documentation.
The State Indicators Database
The primary product of the School Finance Indicators Database is the State Indicators Database, a collection of roughly 130 variables for each state between 1993 and 2017 (not all variables are available in every year). This dataset is designed to be used by both researchers and non-researchers, and includes extensive user-friendly documentation.
- Download the User’s Guide and Codebook: This document lists all the variables in the State Indicators Database, along with descriptions of the measures and other information (including data sources and methodology).
- Download the full dataset in Excel format: This Excel spreadsheet includes descriptions of each variable and the full dataset.
- Download the full dataset in Stata format: The full dataset available for Stata users (includes variable labels).
- Use our online data visualization tools: Analyze and visualize key measures from the State Indicators Database.
The District Indicators Database
This dataset is for more advanced users, and includes a set of district-level measures for all U.S. public school districts between 1987 and 2017. Note that this is a very large dataset.
- Download the Codebook: This document lists all the variables in the District Indicators Database, along with detailed descriptions and data sources.
- Request access to the District Indicators Database: For access to the full District Indicators Database, please contact us with your name, affiliation, and purpose for which you will be using the data.
NEW RELEASE OF DATABASE AND ANNUAL REPORT
Latest Annual Report
The Adequacy and Fairness of State School Finance Systems
The second edition of our annual report presenting findings from the School Finance Indicators Database for School Year 2016-2017. Released February 2020. Download the report.
Latest Research Briefs
School Finance and Teacher Pay Competitiveness
An analysis of the relationship between teacher/non-teacher wage gaps and state school finance systems. Released July 2019. Download the brief.